This September, discover your village on foot with Walk Morton Grove!
Visit mgpl.org/walk for five different suggested walking routes around Morton Grove you can try, either solo or with a group. Each of the routes are between 1.5–2.5 miles round trip or you can make your own.
Before you start your walking adventure, pick up an MGPL step counter from the Info Desk (while supplies last) and then submit your total steps for each walk at mgpl.org/walk for a chance to win prizes.
Walking is a quick and easy way to maintain and improve your health without any expensive equipment or gym memberships. According to Mayo Clinic, walking can help you:
- Maintain a healthy weight and lose body fat
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer, and type 2 diabetes
- Improve cardiovascular fitness
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve muscle endurance
- Increase energy levels
- Improve your mood, cognition, memory, and sleep
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Strengthen your immune system
- Reduce stress and tension
Tracking your progress with a step counter is a great way to stay accountable and keep yourself moving. Remember to set realistic goals and stay hydrated before, during, and after your walk.
For more information, visit the National Institute of Health’s Walking page. And check the community step counter on the Walk Morton Grove page to see how many steps our community takes throughout the entire month of September!
Edmund Balzer is an Adult Services Librarian at Morton Grove Public Library.