Find key election dates, voter registration information, and other helpful voting resources.
The upcoming November election includes voting for local, state, and national offices. Here are the important dates to keep in mind:
10/7/2020 - First day of grace period registration and voting
10/18/2020 - Last day to register to vote by online application
10/19/2020 - First day of early voting
10/29/2020 - Last day to request a mail ballot, including military and overseas voters
11/3/2020 - Last day mail ballots can be postmarked
11/3/2020 - Election Day
Registering to Vote
This page lists the different ways of registering to vote, and includes the requirements and forms of identification needed to register to vote, when, where and how you can register to vote in Illinois.
Illinois Online Voter Application
Online form for applying to vote in Illinois.
Cook County Election Department
Verify your voter registration, locate your polling place, and see a sample ballot and other information related to the election.
Illinois State Board of Elections
Find your polling place, information about election contributions and other information related to elections in Illinois.
Vote By Mail
Download the Illinois Vote By Mail application from the Illinois State Board of Elections.
A non-profit organization to bring truth to the voting process.
Project Vote Smart
A non-profit organization that provides factual information about the political system, issues, candidates, and elected official to private citizens.
Independent and nonprofit organization that is the premier group tracking money in U.S. politics and its effect on elections and public policy.
A fact-checking website that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials, candidates, leaders of political parties and others who speak up in American politics.
Books for Teens (Fiction)
- All the Days Past, All the Days to Come by Mildred D Taylor
- Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli
- Running by Natalia Sylvester
- The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert
- The State of Us by Shaun David Hutchinson
- You Say It First by Katie Cotugno
Books for Teens (Nonfiction)
- Why Don’t Americans Vote?: Causes and Consequences
- Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the 1965 Selma Voting Rights March by Lynda Blackmon Lowery
- One Person, No Vote: How Not All Voters are Treated Equally by Carol Anderson
Books for Adults (Fiction)
- The Voter File by David Pepper
- The People’s Choice by Jeff Greenfield
- Eleanor vs Ike by Robin Gerber
- The Big Lie by James Grippando
- O, Democracy! by Kathleen Rooney
- Campaign Widows by Aimee Agresti
Books for Adults (Nonfiction)
- Drawing the Vote: An Illustrated Guide to Voting in America by Tommy Jenkins
- American Political Parties and Elections: A Very Short Introduction by Louis Sandy Maisel
- Thank You for Voting: The Maddening, Enlightening, Inspiring Truth about Voting in America by Erin Geiger Smith
- What You Need to Know About Voting and Why by Kim Wehle
- The Infographic Guide to American Government: A Visual Reference for Everything You Need to Know by Carissa Lytle
- Why Voting is Important (National Geographic)
- Why Voting Matters by Sean McElwee (DEMOS)
- Presidential Election Process (USA.gov)
- Gerrymandering (FairVote)
- Gerrymandering (ACLU)
- The Electoral College, National Conference of State Legislators
- What Good are Elections, Anyway? by Jennifer Victor (Vox)
Documentaries & Videos