Since 1938, the Morton Grove Public Library has served our community with entertainment, information, education, and cultural experiences. Learn about our mission, vision, and history.
Mission & Vision
The Morton Grove Public Library will provide a place offering materials, programs, and services to assist the community in its pursuit of personal growth and lifelong learning.
Approved by the Morton Grove Public Library Board of Trustees, June 12, 2008.
Morton Grove Public Library will meet the needs of its growing and increasingly diverse community by providing services and partnering with other community organizations. All will be welcomed to follow their interests, expand their dreams, learn new skills and interact with other members of the community to enhance their quality of life. The Board of Trustees and staff will work together to serve the public and respond to the changing role of libraries.
Approved by the Morton Grove Public Library Board of Trustees, February 12, 2009.
Read highlights from the library's history, starting from its founding in 1938 to the present:
1938: Library established by Women’s Club as a WPA project, in a small space donated by a store at 6100 Lincoln Avenue. Initial collection comprised of 300 donated books.
1942: Village ordinance makes the Library a taxing unit of the Village.
1948: Library moves from a second storefront location in the 6200 block of Lincoln Avenue to second floor of Callie Avenue fire station.
1949: Bond issue of $33,000 approved to build first permanent Library building in Monument Park, site of the “Doughboy” statue, erected in 1921 to honor World War I veterans.
1952: Library moves to current location at 6140 Lincoln Avenue. Original building 1,500 sq. ft.
1955: Myra Aggen named Library’s first full-time director.
1956: Basement remodeled to become children’s area.
1964: First photocopy machine put into service and first LPs added to collection.
1965: Library becomes one of 22 founding member libraries of the North Suburban Library System (NSLS).
1970: Library begins publishing a quarterly newsletter called Browse.
1971: Library joins NSLS reciprocal borrowing program.
1980: Building addition adds administrative offices, Baxter Auditorium, Local History Room (later the Activity Room), garage, and typing rooms. Circulation Desk moved from Lincoln Avenue entrance to east entrance.
1983: Library purchases first computers: An Eagle PC and printer for the administrative office and an Apple IIe for staff.
1984: Library temporarily closed to add barcodes to entire collection.
1988: Library celebrates its 50th anniversary.
1993: Card catalog removed.
1993: First adult summer reading program.
1995: Library debuts its first website at webrary.org.
1995: Fiction_L listserv debuts.
1996: Three public Internet PCs enter service.
1999: First DVDs added to collection.
2001: Library named NSLS Library of the Year.
2005: First Wi-Fi network activated.
2015: Grand reopening after roof replacement and remodel of main level, which added study rooms, Digital Media Lab, and Teen Space.
2018: Library celebrates its 80th anniversary.
2019: Library joins Computer Cooperative Services (CCS) consortium, migrates to new catalog, and debuts new integrated website and calendar.
2020: STEMonade Stand debuts and curbside pickup service begins.
2021: Youth Services and entire lower-level renovated to modernize the space and add a new Picture Book Room, Middle School space, Activity Room, and Care Room.