Greetings everyone, and happy summer!
I hope this update finds you and your family safe and healthy. As Illinois enters Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan, I wanted to share with you the steps the Morton Grove Public Library is taking to prepare for a safe reopening of the library building.
As the Library's Executive Director, my primary concern has been and remains the health and safety of the Morton Grove community, our patrons, and the staff.
We are still in the midst of a global pandemic, and while the case numbers in Illinois have met all of the Governor’s criteria for moving to Phase 4, we have seen cases skyrocketing in other areas of the country. When announcing the move to Phase 4, Governor Pritzker indicated that a significant increase in the number of cases in Illinois could cause the state or specific regions to go back to earlier phases.
The Library Board of Trustees, staff, and myself want to make sure that any reopening plans for our library continue to follow the best recommendations from state and local health authorities to minimize the very real possibility of the spread of the coronavirus. We believe the best way to do that is to move slowly and carefully towards reopening the building.
MGPL Reopening Plan
Here is the tentative timeline for the Library moving into Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan:
- Curbside pickup service will continue for the foreseeable future even as we begin to reintroduce additional in-library services.
- Virtual services and programming will continue.
- We will continue to quarantine all returned library materials for the recommended 72 hours.
- Meeting rooms, the vending machine, and water fountains will remain closed or off-limits.
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
- Masks are required by anyone entering the building.
Late June to Mid-July
- Reinstating delivery between libraries.
- Allowing holds on the material of other CCS libraries for pickup at MGPL.
- Limited homebound delivery will resume.
- Use of Internet Computers
- Tentatively scheduled to begin Monday, July 13, though this date may change depending on circumstances.
- Relocation of the Computer Room to the main level of the library to allow for easier access.
- By appointment only.
- To minimize exposure and to maintain social distancing guidelines, the length and number of sessions will be limited.
Mid- to Late July
- Limited access to the building will be allowed. Since the stay at home order was instituted in mid-March, library staff have been making changes to the physical building to allow for the safe return of patrons and direct access to our physical collections:
- Installation of plexiglass barriers at all public service desks.
- Installation of signage and markers to guide patrons in maintaining social distancing.
- Creation and marking of pathways to move throughout the building to minimize close contact with staff and other users of the library.
- Relocation of self-checkout machines to more central locations to minimize close contact between staff and patrons.
- Seating, toys, games, etc. have been removed to discourage lingering in the building.
- Daily newspapers have been cancelled since we are unable to quarantine them for the recommended period between each use.
Please continue to visit this website and our social media accounts for the exact dates for resumption of these services and other important information on reopening.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we navigate this uncharted territory. We remain committed to both providing the Morton Grove community with the services and programs you have come to expect and keeping everyone as safe and healthy as possible.
I speak for all MGPL staff when I say we are looking forward to seeing you at the Library soon!
Pam Leffler is Executive Director of the Morton Grove Public Library.