We are very excited to be renovating the Youth Services Department on the Library's lower level! Read on for the renovation overview, timeline, renderings, proposed floor plans, and more.
Questions? Contact Pam Leffler, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 847-929-5130.
Check out our Facebook photo album to see the renovation progress.
- Installing new shelving and furniture
- Returning boxes of Youth materials from storage for reshelving
- Completing punch list of final touches
- New Youth Services Info desk installed
- New tiling and fixtures in the public bathrooms
- Activity Room walls up
- Watch a brief walk-through of the lower level
- New furniture delivered
- Carpeting installed
- Painting walls and doors
- Installing ceiling hardware for hanging acoustical baffles
- Framing and drywall begins
- Woodwork staining
- Asbestos abatement continues
- Complete demolition and begin drywalling
- Installation of structural steel
- Rerouting duct and pipe work to create more ceiling space
- Shoring and masonry work
- Asbestos abatement
- Setting up temporary Youth Services Info Desk and browsing collection of popular Youth materials in former Teen Space
- Boxing up remainder of Youth collection for temporary storage
- Beginning demolition and clearing out lower level
- Contractor bid process
- Moving Youth Services staff to temporary workspace
- Clearing out lower-level storage areas
- Preparing collection for moving
- Preliminary demolition of select areas of the ceiling and walls
When the Library's main floor and mezzanine level were significantly renovated in 2014 and 2015, no work was done to the lower level. (In fact, besides replacing carpet, some small furniture purchases, and the addition of computers, the Youth Services Department has not been redesigned or updated since 1969!)
Since then, the Library has been saving funds and making plans to undertake a long-overdue remodel of the lower level of the Library and the Youth Services Department, with no additional cost to Morton Grove residents.
Updating a Well-Loved Space
The Youth Services area has been well-loved for a long time by countless Morton Grove kids and families. The planned renovation will make better use of the space we have, while also modernizing the furnishings so we can continue offering our high standards of service to the community.
While the Covid-19 pandemic has caused us to make significant changes to our services to you, those limitations will actually make it easier to undertake this project with fewer disruptions in service.
We look forward to welcoming you back into the Library with fewer restrictions and a newly renovated space for the families of Morton Grove!
Here are the many upgrades you can expect once the renovation is complete:
- Reconfiguration of the entire lower level, which will allow more space for patrons, seating, programs, and services
- New space for kids in grades 6-8
- New room for picture books
- New room for nursing mothers and those in need of a prayer or "calm down" space
- New multipurpose activity room for storytimes, craft programs, and much more
- New lighting, shelving, and furniture throughout the lower level
The renovation is tentatively scheduled to begin February 2021 and finish in summer 2021. See the Renovation Updates tab at the top of the page for details.
The department and collections may be periodically closed or unavailable during construction, so please check this page and our social media for the most up-to-date information.
|Current Public Space||4,945 sq. ft.|
|Public Space After Renovation||6,720 sq. ft.|
|Project Length||February-July 2021 (estimated)|
|Total Project Budget||$1.5 million|
|Funding Sources||Library’s Special Reserve fund and regular budget lines for building improvements and maintenance|
|Architect||Product Architecture + Design|
Shales McNutt Construction
See below for the current and planned layouts. The grey areas indicate non-public areas for staff or maintenance.